Monday, June 15, 2009

Trials and Struggles of Missionary Work

This p-day is one of great relief. It means that I made it through the longest, and maybe the toughest week of my mission so far. Elder Erekson and I are going to be taking it easy today. After surviving a week like this last one, we're just about beat.
The week started off with a bad omen. After a district p-day in Bamberg (where I bought some amazing lederhosen!) we had an appointment with an inactive member that turned out really bad. The guy simply has let Satan take over his heart and doesn't want anything to do with the church. It was one of those appointments where the person you're talking to invites a really bad spirit by the things they say about the church and it can really drain you spiritually. The next day, we stopped by our golden Muslim investigator, and she told us she didn't want to meet with us anymore because of the pressure she was getting form all of her Muslim friends. That was a real heart breaker for us to be rejected by someone whom we knew needed the gospel and was so close to letting it change their life.

The rest of the week gave us a couple of new investigators, which was a saving grace. It also gave me not one, but two flat bike tires, which for me was kinda the the straw that broke the camel's back. To understate, it was a rough week, and Elder Erekson and I were both indescribably relieved this morning when we realized it was over.
As we say here in Germany, so gehts der missions arbeit. In other words, that's just the way the mission goes sometimes. The Koralewski's teach institute on Wednesdays, and we usually tag along. We just finished studying the book of acts. through this rough week I thought a lot about the apostles and the unbelievable persecution that they suffered, and which eventually lead to their death. I've been thinking about Paul, and how he frequently expressed is gratitude for the opportunity to face all of his trials and persecution for the Lord's sake, and my heart is filled and my spirit is re-energized form the knowledge that all I face on the mission is also for the Lord's sake. I'm grateful and honored to to be a part of the same work as Paul, and all of the other prophets, to face the trials and struggles of missionary work in the name of our savior Jesus Christ. I'm tired and a little weary, but am grateful for all of my experiences on the mission because I know that they're for the sake of the Lord.
As always, my heart and prayers are with you all. Take care.

-Andy

NOTE: The Apostle Paul was a man of vision, a man of action, and a man of letters. A visit by the resurrected Jesus Christ on the road to Damascus changed the course of his life, and from that moment he dedicated himself to preaching the gospel, becoming one of the greatest missionaries in history.

No comments: