Sunday, May 10, 2009

Transfer to Schweinfurt



Anyway, I'm pleased to say that the transfer went smoothly. My new companion, Elder Erekson, and I are getting along really well. He's a music major and has an amazing singing voice and all that. He's a little more by-the-book than and not quite as chill as Elder Hartmann was, but he's also really open minded and patient. He's a great missionary with a great work ethic and I can already tell that I'm going to learn a lot from him.
Schweinfurt is a great area! Our ward is military so its half American and most of the Germans speak English. Everything is translated and it was a real treat yesterday to actually be able to follow everything that went on in Church. The members are very warm and there is a great spirit in the ward. And from what Elder Erekson tells me the ward missionary work is great in this area, which will be a breath of fresh air from Kaufbeuren.
I think as far as the work goes, I'm liking this area better so far. Its funny, I didn't realize how spoiled I was in Kaufbeuren until I came to this area. I came from a car area with tons of eating appointments and a chill native speaking trainer to a bike area with tons of work to do and a companion who puts a little more on my shoulders than I'm comfortable with, and whats even funnier is that I'm loving it! This area is really putting me through the refiners fire and for that I am very excited and grateful!
So far Schweinfurt seems to be a very successful area! We have three baptismal dates with a possible fourth and fifth on the way! isn't that amazing?! And yesterday when we were contacting Elder Erekson and I were amazed at how nice and receptive the people were. I told him, "Wir sind nicht in Deutschland!"
One particularly fun experience yesterday happened while going Door to Door. We met this Gypsy family that was FreiChrist (Born again Christian). Born-Again's are always tough because they are so caught up in the idea that all they need is the bible and to have Christ in their heart. They just see us as another religion, and I cant say I blame them in the slightest. Anyway, We were talking with this family for what seemed like forever. They were really nice but liked to argue, especially the daughter who was practically yelling in our face, but Elder Erekson explained to me after that that was just the gypsy culture, and while we were talking with them the spirit was still there. It was different from other situations where you get into arguments or bible bashes with people. Normally once that happens the general rule is to get outta there as soon as possible, but with this family there was something worth sticking around for. Just as I was getting frustrated and wanted to leave, I saw in the Mother's eyes, who just ten minutes ago had told us she had no interest whatsoever, that she was listening to us. I saw in her eyes that, while her obnoxious daughter was being a smart Alec with us, for lack of a better term, that she knew that we were sincere, and that she respected us. And at the end of our conversation, against all odds, they said we could stop by again next week! All I can say is that its amazing what the spirit of the Lord can do.
Ok, now for my embarrassing German screw-up of the week, and this one is just ridiculous. It was eight o'clock and we were making phone calls. I had mine on Speaker phone so Elder Erekson could help me out if I didn't understand. Anyway, I was talking to a street contact and I asked him if he would like us to come over, and he said "Ja, Ja, Warum Nicht" (yeah yeah Why not). Then Elder Erekson told me to tell him "Wir haben keine Adresse" (We have no address) and I thought he told me to tell him "Wir haben kein Interesse," So after asking this man if we could come over and teach him, I told him that we have no interest! I think he was really offended, of course who wouldn't be. Elder Erekson immediately took the phone from me and explained to him that we meant we have no address, not no interest. haha after he was laughing at me pretty hard and I was too, even though I felt like a total doofus! Oh well, just another story I can talk about after my mission and laugh at I guess.
I guess that's it for now. Love you all and I'll talk to ya on Mothers Day!!!!

-Andy

No comments: