Monday, April 27, 2009

God doesn't answer our prayers solely based on our desires and limited vision

First of all, thank you for your prayers. I felt them, and they definitely worked. It was a great week with lots of success. Elder Hartmann and I have really tried to do our part to get rid of some of the bad habits of this area and make it more successful, and it's paid off. Herr Labuda is feeling much better about things now. We had a great joint-teach with him and our Branch President. He worked with Herr Labuda on figuring out a way where he could pay tithing and feel more secure about it. At the end of the appointment there was a great spirit and I could tell Herr Labuda felt very good about everything. I feel very confident that he will be baptized soon enough and remain a stalwart member.
We also have a new investigator family. They're Russian and don't speak German very well, but they have a 13 year old daughter that speaks pretty well and translates for us. Unfortunately I won't be able to meet with them and see their progress because guess what... I'm being transfered! I leave for Shweinfurt (all I know is that its north of Munich) on Wednesday to work with Elder Erickson.
Every Sunday morning at the end of the transfer, the missionaries get their transfer calls. If you get a call from the A.P.'s, one of you will be transfered. If you get a call from President Condie, one of you will be an A.P., a zone leader, or a mission secretary. If you get don't get a call, you stay together in your same area for another transfer. Anyway, all last week I was terrified that Elder Hartmann would be transfered and the weight of this area would be on my weak, inexperienced shoulders. Yesterday morning was the usual routine, at least for about a half hour. Elder Hartmann's alarm went off at 6:30, he got up to go to the shower, and I stayed in bed. Only I wasn't sleeping soundly like usual. I was lying there nervously anticipating the phone call that would hold my destiny for the next six weeks. As I lie there I prayed to my heavenly father, and said "Father if it be thy will, please let Elder Hartmann stay with me in Kaufbeuren for at least another transfer."
Well the minutes Dragged on, and just as I was starting to feel comfortable and think that we wouldn't get a call, I heard the faint buzzing of our cell phone in the other room. Hear it comes I thought. So I answered with a shaky "just got out of bed" voice and it was Elder Van Wagnen, one of the A.P.'s. "Elder Andersen," he said, "You're needed somewhere else." God had answered my prayer, just not in the way I expected. Elder Hartmann would be staying in Kaufbeuren, but I would be leaving! Gotta admit I was pretty shocked all yesterday. I didn't think for a second that I would be transferred. But so it is that God doesn't answer our prayers solely based on our desires and limited vision, but also on What he knows is best for us and for those we serve, and with his all-seeing eye. I would be kidding myself if I didn't admit that I was a little bummed and scared for many reasons. I was just starting to really build relationships with the members in this area, and I was just starting to feel like I really was getting into the swing of things here. And Its been such a great blessing to have a companion that I get along with so well and have such good times with. Its always scary to venture into the unknown but Its comforting when I know that it is divinely inspired. I'm grateful for the great time I've had in my first transfer and know that God will send me where he needs me and bless me for my service in this next transfer, and for the rest of my mission.
Another side note: Elder Hartmann's new companion is Elder Ray, who was in my group and a good buddy of mine in the MTC. The guy's a stud and I know he's gonna do some great work here.
I love you all and pray for you every day. I thank you again for your prayers. They keep me going and bless my work here. 'till next time!

-Andy

3 comments:

Shelly said...

I love missionary letters. He has such a sweet spirit. Thanks for sharing.

LSnow said...

It's great to see the attitude of a truly dedicated missionary. I think it helps us all to be better children of our Heavenly Father.

Kellianne said...

He seems to mature 10 years in every letter, he is truly a man of God. What a sweet message, it was definitely needed.