Thursday, April 2, 2009

A country for Dog Lovers










Well I made it through my 2nd week and all is pretty much well. My German improves a little each day but its still awful. On Tuesday we taught some friends of a member family at their home and I said something really wrong and all the kids in the family laughed at me. Oh man it was terrible. Not that I blame them, I´m sure I would have laughed too, its just a huge discouragement when you´re trying your best to say something that will help investigators in a language you barely know and then have people laughing at you while you do it. Ah well, all part of the missionary experience ya? I just gotta learn not to let things like that get me down I guess.

Yesterday we went to another little village in our area and once again it was firmly in the grasp of the Catholic Church. Every door "Kein interesse, Ich bin Catolisch." That Catholic Church is killin' me man.
Something I am really enjoying about Germany right now is the fact that it is definitely a country for Dog lovers. There are quite a few places in our area where literally everybody has a dog. And they really love their dogs here. Luciana Beudner, one of our investigators, has this little dog named Benny and he loves me. He always curls up against my leg when we're sitting on the couch. What can I say, "Ever since I can remember animals have always loved me"[A grandpa Andersen Colloquialism].
The food here has definitely not disappointed me. We had a bunch of eating appointments this past week and oh man was it awesome. Just FYI the bread here is so good. I don't know how I'm gonna be able to adjust to lame American bread when I come home. Once you have bread in Germany you feel like you've never had real bread before.
I think my favorite experience this week was the opportunity I had to teach in English. A less active member in our ward is married to a girl from Nigeria who of course speaks English and we were able to teach her and her sister. I don't know how interested they are (they have a lot of questions but I don't know if they are because they are interested or they just are kinda testing us) but it was really nice to be able to express myself while teaching the gospel. And despite how interested they were I could tell that what I said touched them somehow, at least I hope it did. But it was so great to be able to really be part of the conversation during a lesson rather than just a side note that only says a few things in broken German. I also know, however, that If I am diligent that my German will improve and I will be able to fully express myself and invite the spirit in German. Right now its just a matter of patience until I get to that point.
Ok, now for something hilarious. We have this investigator named Dr. Schönweiz. He's this crazy old medicine man (I'm pretty sure he doesn't really have the credentials to call himself "Dr.") who comes up with all these inventions and formulas for disease cures and sends them to Hilary Clinton and Barack Obama. He showed us all of them yesterday and Elder Hartmann and I couldn't help but bust a gut reading them, because their ridiculous but he's completely serious about them. He does LSD and stuff and told Elder Hartmann once that he saw God as a chicken or something. He also thinks that when Jesus turned the water into wine, that he ate some type of flower and then peed into the wine to heal the people, so hilarious I can't even take it!
Well I think that's all for now. Keep on rockin in the free world. Take Care!
-Andy

2 comments:

LSnow said...

It's always great to read missionary letters. LIfe is full of challenges, but also alot of laughs.

Thanks for sharing.

Shelly said...

I love to read how he is doing. Thanks for posting his letters and pictures.