Monday, April 20, 2009

The most important work on the earth right now!

This week, in the simplest of terms, was a tough one. The kind they warn you about in the MTC. Franz Labuda, our golden investigator who was going to be baptized yesterday, informed us on Saturday that he didn't want to be baptized because he felt that he couldn't live the law of tithing. It is a very valid concern, considering his situation, and we did everything we could to reassure him that the Lord would provide away. The three of us knelt together and Elder Hartmann said a beautiful prayer that brought the spirit so strong. When the prayer was over Elder Hartmann was in tears and Herr Labuda was pretty close to being so as well. But after all that we could do, and all that the spirit could do, Herr Labuda still declined his baptism. For many reasons, this was a real emotional struggle for me. For this entire transfer, this tough first transfer of not knowing the language and trying to deal with all the rejection in the right way, Herr Labuda's faith and baptism date has been one thing that reinvigorates my spirits. Whenever I was discouraged I would think to myself, Herr Labuda is proof for me that people actually do accept the gospel. And just a day before his baptism, he canceled on us. All Saturday I was wondering if I could endure two years of what Elder Hartmann refers to as "the foolishness of the people" and if I was doing any good here. Amongst all of these dark thoughts, one thought gave me some hope like a small weak light bulb in a dark room. "There's no way you would ever feel this bad about Labuda if the gospel wasn't true." The spirit whispered to me. I quickly realized that my feelings of heartache for Herr Labuda were a sign that this is the most important work on the earth right now, and that I should do as 2 Nephi 31: 20 says, to "Press forward with steadfastness in Christ, with a perfect brightness of hope." This gospel is true, and it is accepted by people, even in Europe. What I must do now is have an increased love for Herr Labuda, because I know that he has a strong testimony, and I know that if he stays true to what he knows that he will eventually be baptized.
Hope all is well with the rest of the fam and thank you for your prayers and support. Love you all!

-Andy

1 comment:

Ruthann said...

Jeanmarie--the girls and I wrote Andy letters tonight for FHE. We'll send them to the post office in the morning. I think their letters will give him a few good laughs!