Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Bright Ray of Sunshine in my Life



September 27
Just want to quickly report that this week was a good one. We met again with a great family in our ward yesterday who really want to bring some friends of theirs to the gospel. I think if we work with this family in unity we will be able to help these friends of theirs come unto Christ. I would like to now take the opportunity to dedicate the rest of this weeks email to my dear Grandma Donna Lou.

My beloved former mission president, President Condie, told me something just before I left his mission that has helped me a great deal to put into perspective all of the sacrifices we make in this life. As his youngest daughter was married in the Salt Lake temple a few months ago, President Condie, despite his permission to leave the mission for a few days to attend the wedding, had to remain in Germany with his missionaries. What he told me and other missionaries was that, while missing the wedding of his youngest daughter was for him a very challenging and heart-wrenching sacrifice, it was a very small sacrifice compared to the sacrifice that Jesus Christ made for all of us.
For me, being here in Germany, unable to say goodbye to my dear grandmother before she left this world, has been a sacrifice indeed. But a very small one compared to the one my savior made for me. He lives. And because he lives, we all will also live again, and be reunited with all of our loved ones to enjoy each others company in the eternities. This is more than just a comforting thought. It's the truth, and I'm grateful for that knowledge in a time when I need the peace that comes from it in order to complete the task that my Heavenly Father has given me here in the mission field.
Grandma was always such a bright ray of sunshine in my life, the absence of which I have felt since I received the news of her passing. I will miss her warm and tender hugs and her incredible sense of humor. This earth has lost a little brightness since her passing, but the heavens, in all their brightness and glory, have become brighter and lovelier upon her arrival. 'Till we meet again Grandma,

-Andy

No comments: