Monday, October 11, 2010

Working Hard to Be more Obedient


Once again, I'm writing my first email from my new area. It's been an interesting first week. It's very strange to be in a car area again. I don't know how much I like it. This is kind of a dead area, and it's harder to do a lot of contacting to find new investigators when you're driving around to these little towns and villages all the time. Guess we'll just have to plan things out well and get some good strategies going.
From what I understand, a lot of missionaries have spent their last months on the mission here, sort of puttering out early and coasting through it, not getting much done. That's definitely not what I want to do. I've been working hard to be more obedient and more loving so I can be a better tool in the Lord's hands for my last run, and I don't want to further slow down the work in this area, nor in Germany as a whole for that matter.
My new companion, Elder Vogel, is pretty young on his mission. He's a pretty cool guy though and has a really great taste in music. We've been able to have some pretty solid music discussions and have a common love for Art Rock (David Bowie, Velvet Underground, etc.). I always try and take those things that I have in common with my comps and make that a common topic of conversation in order to build unity and focus on what we have in common instead of our differences.
It was a blast to be able to chill with Daniel again. We went over to his house to talk about the missionary work on Thursday, and it was great to see that he hasn't lost his urgency for the missionary work one bit. This ward has a lot of problems, and needs a strong ward mission leader and some strong missionaries to get things going. I think he and I will be able to do some real good work together like we did in Erlangen. Not too mention we'll have some good laughs as well just like the ole days. After all, when all is said and done, he Achtmann and I are truly partners in crime.
One great thing about this area is that it's gorgeous. It covers half of the Sauerland, which is basically like my first area minus the alps. It'll be nice to have some good aesthetics in my last few months. I'll definitely be able to get some good pictures out of it.

Love you all,

-Andy

No comments: